Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Balancing relationships


Choices:
  • Spend time in the Word or take a nap
  • Clean the house or play with Nathaniel
  • Watch a TV show or talk with David
  • Stay home or hang out with a friend
When Nathaniel was exactly 6 weeks old, I went back to work part time.  I would breastfeed him right before I left, think about him while I was working, and think about work when I was with him.  I applaud you Moms who have the ability to keep up with work and also have an infant, but I was running on fumes. I felt like I was always making it a big deal to decide between showing Nathaniel attention or something work related that I found pressing. 

Now that I'm a stay-at-home mom, I'm starting to see that making difficult choices with my time has not disappeared.  Even though I learned to do a million two handed or squatting activities while he was sleeping or super happy (i.e. cutting things up for dinner, taking a shower, cleaning the bathroom, putting clothes on, etc.), I found that much of his contentment probably had a lot to do with him being held or in an infant-carrier on me.  I tried to let him do laundry, but, if you can see the picture, he is still getting the hang of it :), but at least he likes it -"Happy baby leads to happy Mom!"

Despite my multitasking during his periods of contentment, I had to learn what the Bible says about the choices I make and what is worth prioritizing in many moments. For example:
  • Naps are amazing, but am I making sure to find rest in the Lord as well?
    • Psalm 4:8
  • I have to have a clean house so Nathaniel doesn't eat unknown things, but am I making sure to appreciate and love on Nathaniel as he grows at this oober fast pace?
    • Ephesians 6:4
  • Everyone needs time to relax, but can I not also find relaxation in hanging out with David?
    • Song of Songs
  • It's important to not overdo yourself and give your child(ren) somewhat a routine, but God also calls us to be in fellowship with one another and not let our fears get in the way of walking in faith. 
    • Matthew 18:20
Now...take Nathaniel Trick or Treating, or hang out with friends? Or both?!

No comments:

Post a Comment